Our Cistern Excavation Project!
History lives thanks to the Burton
The Burton Heritage Society was established in March of 1973 by
a group of citizens concerned about preserving and sharing the history of our community. There were 97 charter members. The
first project of the newly formed Society was the cleaning and restoration of the Mt. Zion Cemetery (Often referred to
as McNelly Cemetery). In following years the Society also restored the old Burton Bank building. In 1990 the Burton
Heritage Society returned the Burton Depot to almost its original location and restored the structure. Our organization is still going strong and we continue to actively maintain and protect the historic
Burton Railroad Depot and the Mt. Zion Historical Chapel. Both of these sites are VITAL
to history. The
to 1870 when Burton was a terminal on the Houston and Texas Central Railroad while the cemetery honors some of the
earliest inhabitants. Mt. Zion Cemetery was designated a
"Historic Texas Cemetery" in December of 2006.
|Current view of the Burton Railroad Depot